Monday, May 7, 2012

Sew Colette: The Licorice Dress


My goodness! I can hardly believe we are at the final project in the Sew Colette Sew-Along.  Time passes swiftly when you're having fun and I have been enjoying myself so much!  This month's project is the lovely Licorice Dress and the schedule is as follows:

May 7th: Muslin
May 14th: Fit & Fabric
May 21st: Be Our Guest!
May 24th: The Final Countdown
May 30th: Licorice Parade
May 31st: Sew-Along Wrap Party





Clever folks will remember Sarai sneaking in what I think was an early version of this pretty dress during last year's Spring Palette Challenge and there are so many lovely versions in the Colette Patterns Flickr group, one can't help but be inspired!

We so enjoyed having Sarai, Meg, and Oona join in the fun last month, that we are definitely doing it again this month!  We have some lovely people in mind, but if there are ones you would love to hear from, please let us know!

This week kicks off the first step of the process: the muslin.  I don't plan on making a full muslin of the Licorice dress, due to its forgiving fit; however, I plan to make a muslin of the bodice and sleeves, just to see how the modifications I make work out. 

Do you plan on making a muslin?  Are you making alterations to the Licorice or sewing  it as-is?

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I can't wait to see your version - I really want to make this one in silk. Can't wait for your review!

Symon said...

I'm so excited to make this dress - it's my favourite item from the book!! I got a lovely silk for it but i'm nervous to cut into it so I'm gonna make a wearable muslin first - nothing wrong with having two Licorices! :D

... Just gotta quickly finish up that pesky Taffy first though LOL

Jessica said...

I am so torn on the fabric choice... I guess I better get started on the muslin either way.

Johanna said...

I won't be doing this in time for the sewalong but I have dreams of making this in a cosy wool crepe. I've never worked with it before.
I think this dress can be interpreted in many different ways with different fabrics.
I don't like the blue version from the book, the way the model is standing is so awkward, and the dress looks too loose for my liking. But the polka dot one from elsewhere in the book is super cute!

Rochelle New said...

You already know how sad I am about this being the final project!! I do plan to make a muslin because I want to tweak the sleeves a bit. I'm having a hard time envisioning what fabric I'll use for this dress, but I'm thinking I may stick with my palette challenge theme. Hmmm...